Upton State Forest: A History
In 1983 Carol Johnson Blomquist and John Morrill developed 1735 and 1798 lot maps from research they did on early homes. The 1735 map shows the home of Benjamin Stuwart near a brook but no road. In 1798 the map shows an unnamed road intersecting with the road to Westborough at Pratt Pond. (Hopkinton Rd. and High St. did not exist.) This road (today Gore Rd) headed northeast toward Hopkinton through the properties of Jason Bathrick, A. Sadler, Ezra Whitney, Samuel Forbush, Daniel White and a section of common land. This map and records as early as 1792 indicate a mill and a nearby home on the Forbush property at Anderson Brook. As late as 1851 maps still showed Gore Rd. continuing past the mill toward Hopkinton but since 1938 it dead ends at Dean Pond.
An 1851 map shows a saw mill at this location and names the house as N. Gore.
The late Gordon Hopper reported finding evidence of three early dams in close proximity to this site.
While building Dean Pond Dam in 1938 Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees uncovered remnants of the old mill works. At that time, Fred Alexander, a long time Upton resident said that the Gore Dam washed out in 1882 ending a period of over 100 years as a productive mill site.
An early Upton census also shows a cider mill located in the area of Upton State Forest and Mr. Hopper also reported finding evidence of other early mills.
Click on one of the following FUSF periods for more information:
- Pre Colonial
- Early Settlers
- New State
- Early Roads
- Hopkinton Springs
- Early Mills
- Stone Cutting
- District #7 School
- Conservation Movement
- The Great Depression
- Civilian Conservation Corps at Upton State Forest
- Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Friends of Upton State Forest History